When you are in the Caribbean, you can never run out of new things to try on. Of course, we are not talking about the tourist charm and magnetism of the region but we are talking about its luscious cuisines and drinks. Though the list of must-try foods and drinks in the Caribbean goes endless, today let’s talk about one mind-blowing Caribbean beverage that is very much popular locally during Christmas.
It won’t be an exaggeration to say that the festivity of Christmas is incomplete in the Caribbean without this drink. Any guesses which drink we are talking about? Well, we are talking about the Caribbean sorrel drink, which will surely make you ask for more if you savor it once.
Why is Caribbean sorrel drink popular during Christmas time?
Actually, the Caribbean sorrel drink is the traditional Christmas drink not only in Jamaica but many other Islands of Caribbean and this is the reason that the Christmas celebration is not complete in the Caribbean without this awesome drink. Preparing this lips-smacking drink at their home is a Christmas tradition in the Caribbean. People start preparing it in their homes weeks before the Christmas festival and enjoy it with their families.
The drink is particularly popular during Christmas because the sorrel shrub was usually found during November and December in ancient times. However, it is available throughout the year nowadays. Given the fact, it does not mean that you can enjoy the drink only during Christmas or any other festival or special event. You can relish its flavour anytime.
Origin of the Caribbean sorrel drink
The Caribbean sorrel drink is not a new drink in the Caribbean. It has been there for more than two centuries. First, sorrels were introduced to Jamaica from West Asia around the 18th century. Later on, the locals experimented with the shrubs and developed a mind-blowing and refreshing drink out of it called Caribbean sorrel drink.
What is sorrel?
Before we get started with the savory Caribbean sorrel drink, let’s discuss what sorrel is actually. Sorrell is the Jamaican name for the hibiscus flower ‘Roselle’. The outer part of this flower known as ‘sepals’ is actually used for the drink. To minimize the flavor of the flower, the drink is added with a bunch of sweeteners and other flavors.
Is the Caribbean sorrel drink enjoyed as a main drink?
Not really. Though you can enjoy the Caribbean sorrel drink without any other food or drink, have it with white rum if you want to relish the drink at its best. The combination of the Caribbean sorrel drink and white rum is just heavenly and will definitely drive you crazy.
How does the Caribbean sorrel drink taste?
With the fact that sorrel is tart in flavor, the drink is bound to be a little bit acidic, sour, and tart. However, a mix of other ingredients is added to tweak the flavor of the drink and make it wholesome and enjoyable. You can experience slightly different flavors in different parts of the Caribbean but the gist of the drink will remain the same everywhere. Without the sweeteners, the drink might not be very flavourful.
How is the Caribbean sorrel drink prepared?
Preparing this ruby-colored and spice-infused Caribbean sorrel drink is extremely easy and effortless. You just need to boil sorrel petals in hot water along with the other ingredients and then leave those sorrel petals for a few hours or you can leave it overnight to achieve a darker red color. Eventually, you need to strain the mixture. That’s it.
Ingredients required to prepare the Caribbean sorrel drink
- Sorrel (hibiscus) flowers/buds
- Peel-on ginger
- Whole cloves
- Allspice berries
- Red wine (optional)
- Ground cinnamon sprinkle (optional)
- White or dark rum (optional)
A step-by-step guide to preparing the Caribbean sorrel drink
Now that you already have the ingredients, all you need to do is get started with the step-by-step guide to prepare this sumptuous drink at your home and enjoy it as much as you want. So, here get started with the guide.
- Get and rinse the sorrel in cold water thoroughly.
- Peel and grate the ginger. Also, roughly crush allspice berries.
- Now, take a large pot and mix all ingredients along with 3 quarts of water.
- Keep boiling the mixture until the sorrel begins to plump and swell.
- Once it is done, let the mixture be cooled. After that, steep it in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- After your desired steeping is done, strain the mixture through the strainer in a large pitcher. Make sure the strainer is finely meshed.
- Now, come to the conclusion part, boil around 2 cups of water along with sugar and make it like sugary syrup.
- Stir that syrup into the strained sorrel according to your taste.
- Finally, add rum or wine and chill if you further want to enhance the flavor of the drink.
- It’s time to enjoy this awfully luscious drink.
Benefits of having the Caribbean sorrel drink
It’s not only the flavor and the tradition associated with the Caribbean sorrel drink that makes it popular in Jamaica or in the whole Caribbean but the drink is extremely beneficial to health and has a number of surprising benefits. Here, let us tell you a few of them.
- The drink is high in vitamins and minerals. Given the fact, it gives your body the required energy when you are just exhausted.
- The Caribbean sorrel drink is a remarkably good detoxifier. So, it detoxifies your body really well and keeps you healthy.
- To your surprise, the drink is enriched with anti-inflammatory properties, which make sure to keep the inflammatory conditions of your body at bay.
- Since the drink is rich in vitamin c, it not only prevents you from the flu and cold but also boosts your immune system.
- Because of its awesome cooling properties this Caribbean sorrel drink also helps you fight well with fever.
Make the Christmas celebration of this year a little bit more enjoyable and different by adding the Caribbean sorrel drink to your festivity. Believe us, the heavenly flavor of this drink will tickle your tongue. Though the Caribbean sorrel drink is mainly a Christmas festival drink, it makes any special occasion more fun-filled and enjoyable.
What are you doing at this time of the year when everybody is rushing to Barbados to witness the mind-blowing glory of the Run Barbados Marathon. Just pack your bags and experience something different in Barbados.
Did you check our exclusive IC Caribbean Shop? Go through it to explore some unique travel accessories and enjoy your upcoming vacation.
IC Caribbean invites aspirants to join our internship program. Work with us to get exposure in the international travel industry and work with a diverse team of professionals.
Have you checked our recent podcast episode on Grenada Travel Below